Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Beach Guest Room Day #2!

On the first night of my boredom, I removed the first layer of the wallpaper, simply by peeling it off. I pushed all the furniture into the middle of the room and emptied out what I could. What was left on the walls was the paper wallpaper backing, which ironically looked better than the wallpaper itself.




The next day I grabbed my 5 gallon bucket, rubber gloves, gallon of vinegar, plastic floor covering, and scrapper. Using a 50/50 mixture of warm water and vinegar I sponged the walls down with it, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and began removing the sheets of the paper backing. As luck would have it, they came off with ease and the job didn’t take nearly as long as I anticipated.

But I smelled like vinegar. Yum.

At this point in the renovation, I have removed enough wallpaper that I think I can call myself a pro. And oddly I find it almost cathartic. There is one full wall of wallpaper in the office left and then 2 bathrooms with some wallpaper. I’m almost sad that I will most likely have no wallpaper left to remove by the time we have been in the house a year.


I may have to offer my services to some friends down the road just to enjoy what has become a favorite past time of mine. NOT.






1 comment:

  1. Can I be first on your list? It's a tiny bathroom, honest! The vinegar/water thing so isn't working for me, though.

    ReplyDelete