Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ode to a Thermostat

One of the things I know enough to stay away from is electrical work. My dad taught me that nice and young and I'm forever grateful. Sure, I could tell you all about arc chutes, arc shields, circuit breakers, and switchgear among other things, but that is all technical knowledge. Thankfully there are people that are trained in the APPLICATION of that knowledge. At the end of the day, I was just happy our house wasn't still rocking the old Knob and Tube (which the remnants of can be seen in our attic).
While there is a decent amount of electrical work that needs to be done on the house, most of which I am staying far, far away from, there was one thing I was determined to tackle.
The Downstairs Thermostat
Here is what was here when we arrived. A generic, non-descript thermostat. If you look closely, it almost looks as if there had been a different one there and it had been replaced with this generic wonder. Thank you prior homeowners, once again, you baffle me.
We have 2 zone heating in the ole' house here, one upstairs and one downstairs, which is great. But without a programmable thermostat it's not very efficient, and add propane heat and we'd be broke.

So I took a little trip to the Home Depot (where everybody knows my name) and I picked up a mid-grade thermostat. Nothing overly fancy, but it is programmable and that was the goal.
The instructions were simple to follow, and the installation was minimal. Without little hassle and maybe 15 minutes of my time we now have this fabulous little beauty.

And don't worry that blue trim paint is gone BUH BYE and that fabulous wood spindle is now white.

No comments:

Post a Comment